Description of Work
The Violence Against Women Prosecution Unit of the Montgomery County District Attorney's Office was formed in the fall of 1999 in an effort to reduce violence occurring in Montgomery homes, to make victims safer, and to hold criminals accountable for their behavior. The unit prosecutes domestic violence and sexual assault crimes against adult women ages sixteen and over. A specially trained Prosecutor, Victim Service Officer, and Administrative Assistant make up the unit.
Domestic Violence Cases
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE MISDEMEANORS:
Domestic Violence is abuse in which one person in a relationship uses force, intimidation, or the threat of force against another. Domestic Violence occurs between spouses, boyfriends and girlfriends, parents and children, and other family members. In all cases, violence refers not only to physical assault, but also to sexual, emotional, economic, and verbal abuse. These crimes are taken very seriously, and the unit makes every effort to help victims break the cycle of violence.
SEXUAL ASSAULT/VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN FELONIES:
Sexual Assault includes rape, sodomy, sexual abuse, sexual torture and other violent crimes. These crimes require special attention because of their devastating impact on victims. The unit provides this needed attention through the expert prosecution of the Deputy District Attorney and the additional support that victims receive from the Victim Service Officer.
The Victim Service Officer provides victims with emotional support and valuable information about other resources available in the community. She works closely with victims to answer their questions, address their fears and concerns, and inform them of their rights. When a victim has to appear in court, the Victim Service Officer prepares her for what to expect and accompanies her to the courtroom for additional support.
If you are a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault or know someone who is, you can get help from the agencies listed below:
In an emergency always call 911.
24 HOUR DOMESTIC VIOLENCE CRISIS LINES
- Local - (334) 263-0218
- Statewide - (800) 650-6522
ONE PLACE FAMILY JUSTICE CENTER
- One Place Family Justice Center - (334) 262-7378
- Montgomery Shelter - (334) 206-2100
- Alabama Shelter Locater - (800) 650-6522
- Family Sunshine Center - (334) 206-2100
- Council Against Rape - (334) 286-5980
- Alabama Council on Child Abuse - (800) 239-2004
- Mental Health Association - (334) 262-5500
MAXWELL/GUNTER AFB SERVICES FOR DOMESTIC VIOLENCE & SEXUAL ASSAULT
For all military personnel and their family members:
- Family Advocacy Office - (334) 953-5055
- After Hours - (334) 953-3586 or 7333 (Ask for the mental health person on call.)
LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES
- Montgomery Police Department - (334) 241-2718
- Montgomery Sheriff's Department - (334) 832-2532
- Legal Services - (334) 832-4570